Friday 9 March 2012

Today is a good day

Serendipity. I love that word and it sums up today entirely. And it was very welcome after a couple of days of bus hell.

Waking up in Suchitoto where we didn't need '24 hour security' (i.e 17 year old security guard with big gun) was a good start and things just fell into place from there. We met all the right people who have helped us shape the rest of our stay in El Salvador.

But as for today, we (well I say we but it was Gemma really) successfully negotiated a room in the most beautiful hotel in town (Las Puertas) at half their advertised rate. As a result, I am writing this from the comfort of my own four poster bed in an immense colonial-style room which has its own balcony overlooking the town's main square. And a hot, powerful shower complete with white fluffy towels. I haven't felt so clean in five weeks!

But our room is just one of today's highlights...

For lunch we had the Salvadorian speciality, pupusas, which are basically corn or rice flour tortillas stuffed with a filling of your choice. The special bit about these particular pupusas though was that we made them ourselves under the guidance and supervision of a wonderful Salvadorian lady, who happens to be the wife of an American who has settled here. We had so much fun kneading dough, mixing fillings and slapping the tortillas in our palms as we've seen other women do so many times on our travels. Much to my delight (and surprise), I seemed to be quite good at it, which many of you will confirm is a first when it comes to cooking! The fact that we didn't speak the same language was no obstacle at all and we very much enjoyed tucking into the fruits of our labours.

This afternoon we took a trip out on Lake Suchitlan, a haven for migratory birds. Now, if I was a bird watcher I could now amaze you with the names of all the different species we spotted but, as I'm not, you'll have to make do with 'we saw a lot of cool birds and some awesome scenery' ;o)

Oh, and we met a really nice Canadian called Scott who bought us a beer and then joined us this evening on our outing to El Necio bar... described affectionately in my guide book as a 'leftist dive'. We discovered lots of Che Guevara memorabilia, a sweet barman called Oscar and two more Canadians. And a lot more fun.

Gosh, the church bells have just informed me that it's midnight. Better sign off as a busy day awaits tomorrow...

But, wait, I thought I'd shock you all with a second (and no doubt last) photo of me. I was very proud of my pupusas!

Karen: this one's for you as I know you don't believe a word I say and want to see me in the flesh!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Suchitoto, El Salvador

1 comment:

  1. See you on Master Chef then with your pupusas. Oh and drat you do have a good suntan!!!

    ReplyDelete