Saturday 10 March 2012

A sting in its tail

Last night as I was leaving the bathroom, my eye was caught by a particular detail of our wall mural. Except that there was something not quite right about it. It was almost too realistic, 3D in fact, and looked very much like a scorpion... and nobody PANIC!!!!

At this moment both Gemma and I played to our strengths. Within an instant she was googling 'El Salvador scorpions' and I was out of the door looking for a man to sort it out for us (and mentally making a list of people back home I could call at 4am if I failed to find one).

In the end, a girl who works here at the hostel gamely swatted it at arms length with her sandal whilst spraying it with some kind of poison. The crunching noise as she then stamped on it was, well, crunchy to say the least!

You'll be pleased to hear that Gemma's research revealed that it wouldn't have killed us (reassuring) but that the sting of the Salvadorian species is similar to that of a wasp. I still went to bed tightly wrapped in my cotton sleeping bag and checked my shoes before I put them on this morning!

Today we have taken it easy, exploring both Juayua and the neighbouring town of Ataco at a leisurely pace.

The best things in life are free and we proved that yet again by spending a very enjoyable 15 minutes watching 3 boys play football in Juayua's main square with one of their Dads. A lot of skill on display and four pairs of sparkly brown eyes :)

Which brings me on to Salvadorian people in general. When I met Tom's friend, Mario, who hales from San Salvador, I was instantly struck by his warm, bright and positive persona. But I'm starting to wonder if this charm is actually a national trait. Everyone has been anxious to make us feel welcome and to help us out whenever we look a little bewildered (which happens to me quite a lot!) There is no better reason to visit this fascinating country.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Juayua, El Salvador

No comments:

Post a Comment