Monday 19 March 2012

The pursuit of Alegria

Alegria. Happiness. It turns out that it can be bought and it comes in the form of my very own rainbow-coloured hammock woven by the team at Tio Antonio, a non-profit organisation that provides employment opportunities for young people with disabilities or at high risk of social exclusion.

Now I can chill out on my deck at home and imagine myself back in Central America whenever I like. Assuming I can block out the noise of the Jubilee line and have invested in a patio heater!*

To complete the experience, whilst I contemplated my potential purchase (i.e. whilst Gem talked me into it), we sipped delicious smoothies at the neighbouring cafe, staffed entirely by young men and women who are deaf. And who proved that a genuine smile and a desire to connect can communicate more than a thousand words.

Granada has got it just about spot on. It does high-end and scruffy, order and chaos, pristine and crumbling in equal measure.

I like it here very much.

*BTW - I can hear you groaning from here Dad at the thought of having to help me fix it up! You don't have two strong hooks in the shed by any chance?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Granada, Nicaragua

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget you will need a couple of palm trees too for your patio, how else are you (read Dad here) going to hang it and get the real atmosphere? Answers on a postcard please!

    ReplyDelete