Friday 2 March 2012

Taking the plunge

Now that we're fully signed up members of the jet-set, Gem and I chartered a boat yesterday to come and collect us from our pontoon and take us to one of the small uninhabited islands off Utila, Water Caye.

Ok, so maybe it wasn't quite that glamorous... we got Old Tom to take us in his rustic (rusty) little fishing boat. But he did pick us up from our pontoon.

Water Caye turned out to be tropical island paradise. Turquoise water, pale golden sands, pelicans fishing, breeze blowing... I wouldn't believe it myself if I didn't have the pictures to prove it.

The boat ride back was hilarious... well for about ten minutes anyway. The wind had got up and the waves were rather larger than they had been... and as it turns out larger than Old Tom's fishing boat. Every couple of minutes, we would get a face full of salt water as a wave crashed over the boat. Refreshing! Unfortunately it meant that we arrived home at the Lighthouse looking like a couple of drowned rats, which wasn't really in keeping with the Hollywood image we're trying to carry off!

Last night, we sampled Utila's nightlife. I'd been warned it was party central by the youngsters (!) I'd met on the Pacaya trek. Well, it's no Soho, but it is a lot of fun. There is one particularly cool bar (presided over by a consistently inebriated barman... quite a character!) which has part of the floor cut out to reveal the ocean below, complete with its own little miniature ship. You can see loads of fish swimming around and the odd feeding frenzy when some leftovers get tossed in.

We had got together with Rachel and Helen (from our sailing trip) and helped them to celebrate the last night of their five week trip. We even had a little pre-party party on our veranda at the Lighthouse. Giggle!

Right now I am psyching myself up for today's challenge. I've decided to literally take the plunge and am signed up for Discover Scuba Diving. I have a strong suspicion I'm going to freak out and start crying like a baby but I make it a rule to try everything once and, if I'm going to try diving, Utila's the place to do it! Wish me luck...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Utila Island, Honduras

No comments:

Post a Comment