Thursday 15 March 2012

More than meets the eye

We're hot!

And before you accuse me of stating the obvious (ahem!) I mean in the can't sleep, can't breathe, can't think kinda way... someone must have accidentally turned the thermostat up on Central America.

On Tuesday we reached Nicaragua, the fifth and final country on our adventure. We're staying in Leon, which keeps throwing up little surprises. Although not much to look at at first glance, we keep discovering little gems which are starting to lend the town real charm.

Today's five star moment was looking down on the town from the cathedral roof. It provided a whole new perspective and walking in amongst the domes and bell towers gave it a certain illicit edge.

The cathedral itself is due a lick of paint but its slightly shabby state sort of adds to it beauty and makes Central America's biggest church even more visually striking.

I also enjoyed visiting the town's art gallery. The works are cleverly curated around the pretty inner courtyards of two buildings and I found myself lingering longer than usual by some of the more modern pieces. I don't normally like (i.e I'm too ignorant to understand) modern art but here in Nicaragua it seemed to make more sense to me than it would in Paris or Rome. A few paintings, and especially one by an artist called Guillen, were really very beautiful.

Tomorrow we have opted to swim in a crater lake - Ososceca - in a desperate attempt to cool down. Apparently it's an easy 45-minute hike to get there... hmm, why do those words now fill me with a little trepidation?!

(written 14 Mar)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Leon, Nicaragua

No comments:

Post a Comment