Friday 23 March 2012

The best seat on the bus

And then there were three amigas! Jess has just arrived tired but cheery after her epic three-flight journey. She has brought with her Dairy Milk (thanks Avgi x), crossword books and gossip and we are generally delighted to have her with us.

Today I had the best seat on the bus from Rivas to Managua... perched on top of a cool box squished between the front seats and the driver's compartment. It had a panoramic view out of the windscreen and was the best spot for watching the comings and goings of all the other passengers. I even had an open window behind me providing a cool breeze down my back. And I only had to get up a few times to let the conductor retrieve a cold drink!

I was actually quite disappointed when a kindly, elderly gentleman signalled to me that he was soon to get off and I should make a beeline for his seat. A wonderful and animated but wordless conversation ensued based entirely on smiles and hand gestures but in the end I capitulated and plunged headfirst into his seat once he'd somehow wriggled his way out of it. His parting shot was to pat me on the arm and smile such that it lit up his whole face. If only everyone back home was so easy to please!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Managua, Nicaragua

No comments:

Post a Comment