Friday 16 March 2012

Sand between my toes

Today we travelled just 12 miles down the road from Leon to Las Penitas beach in search of a sea breeze.

Within minutes of our arrival, we had bagsied the best hammocks in the hostel (it's the German in me!) and were fully absorbed in a little sun worship.

Once I was fairly sure my skin was turning a nice shade of lobster red, I set off for a walk down the beach. I had forgotten what it was like to hear nothing but the crashing surf and feel cool water lapping at my feet and a breeze on my face. And very happy it made me too.

Strangely (and if I use a lot of imagination) it reminds me of my favourite place in the whole world - the beautiful coastline of North-East England and beaches like those at Alnmouth and Bamburgh. I think it's the wildness of the water and the lack of other people to disrupt my reverie. Although in Northumbria that's usually because the water's icy cold and it's bracing in the wind to say the least! But otherwise, they're pretty much identical...

I also noticed a strange phenomenon today. Gemma and I played a game of bananagrams. It's kinda like Scrabble but is also a test of mental dexterity and speed of thought. Let's just say we were both much better at it 6 weeks ago. Much better.

I'm gonna need lots of help at work to stop me daydreaming :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Las Penitas, Nicaragua

No comments:

Post a Comment