Thursday 23 February 2012

Tired but very, very happy!

So, it turns out I really am an endurance athlete after all!

Things I learnt at the trek pre-meeting on Monday night:

POSITIVE

1. The trek is only 46km, not 50km

NEGATIVE

1. You do 40 of the 46km on the first two days
2. A lot (and I mean A LOT) of the 46km is steep uphill
3. Oh, and you have to carry a pack weighing approximately 10kg (sleeping mat, sleeping bag, 3 litres of water, your share if the food for 3 days and anything else you need)

Suddenly it all seemed a little more daunting but, hey, if 2011 taught me anything, it's that I like a challenge!

And you know what? I loved every minute of it. Yes, even those minutes when I ground to a halt half way up a(nother) hill, wheezing and 'glowing' like I never have before! My stubborn streak has really done me proud over the last 72 hours :)

But the reward for climbing those hills was more than worth the effort expended. We passed through some truly spectacular scenery and such varied scenery at that. Bare hillsides, forests, fields, jungle, coffee plantations, villages... we saw it all.

I haven't the time (and I'm sure you don't have the attention span!) for me to describe it in great detail but two bits I particularly enjoyed were:

- the stretch yesterday afternoon when we crossed the river in the forest 11 times and I got to feel icy cold water between my toes. The trails we used are regular routes for the local Mayans too, so we often had to step to the side to let a machete and shovel-wielding farmer, or a man carrying a bundle of fire wood on his head, or a group of local women pass...

- staying in Don Pedro's home last night where we were made very welcome and drying my hair by the fire and soothing a very satisfying all over body ache.

The biggest highlight of all though has to be rising at 4am this morning to walk to a mirador where we could watch the sun rise over the lake. We all got back in our sleeping bags and drank hot chocolate, as millions of stars slowly faded and the sky turned from a deep purple through red, orange, pink to a hazy blue and all the shades in-between. Slowly revealing the outlines of the surrounding volcanoes and the glassy surface of the lake below. One to remember forever.

A little plug here for the group who organised our hike. They are called Quetzeltrekkers and are a non-for-profit organisation, staffed entirely by volunteers. All the money raised goes to a couple of schools for disadvantaged children in Xela. Our guides, Rachel and Matt, as well as being two of the nicest people you'll ever meet, worked incredibly hard and made the whole trek a joy to be part of.

So, we made it nearly in one piece to San Pedro on the lake. At Q175 a night for our room (approx. £15), we could be accused of being extravagant (!) but that hot shower was worth every penny.

And, I'm not complaining, but after two nights sleeping (or not in my case) on hard tiled floors, a proper bed with a mattress has never looked so inviting... I'm tired but happy. Buenos Noches Amigos!

P.S. The funniest moment has to go to Gemma overtaking me at around the 18km mark on day 1. On the back of a pick-up truck that she'd flagged down. You've gotta give that girl marks for initiative!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:San Pedro, Guatemala

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a brilliant picture you paint, especially of the sunrise.

    ReplyDelete