Wednesday 8 February 2012

A smile from a crocodile

Our boat trip along New River to Lamanaii yesterday was nothing short of enchanting. The Spanish when they came to the Americas believed that the Mayans had taught animals to speak and it definitely felt like the wildlife here had a story to tell.

Lamanaii means 'submerged crocodile' in Mayan and it didn't take long before we understood why!

Antonio, our boat driver, had x-ray vision it seemed and before long we had seen our first croc. My favourite though has to be the little one we saw next basking on a log with his mouth open in a broad grin! During the next couple of hours, we also saw colourful iguanas, bats and a plethora of birdlife. Fascinating.

On arrival at Lamanaii we were treated to a delicious lunch and a selection of juices, including the intriguingly named 'sky juice' - took us a while to work out that it was water. D'oh!

We had been warned by the book, several other travellers and the tour company to bring bug spray. Cue total paranoia or the adoption of sensible precautions depending on how you like to look at it. Let's just say that Gemma looked particularly fetching with her trousers stuffed into her socks and I managed somehow not to pass out from the effects of wearing a (clashing) t-shirt, shirt and scarf in tropical temperatures! Don't be surprised if photos are edited...

I'd love to be able to tell you lots about this interesting Mayan settlement but our guide was so 'thorough' that I kinda stopped listening and just tried to soak up the feel of the place instead.

Standing at the top of the High temple looking out over the lush jungle canopy towards the river with the screech of the howler monkeys as the only sound... now that's the kind of experience I came all this way for!

The ride back was exhilarating. Antonio drove our little motor boat more like it was a motorbike so we had the thrill of leaning into the corners as we skimmed the perfectly still waters. Well, still until a boa constrictor or crocodile popped their heads up for air.

We then stopped off for what has to go down as the funniest moment to date. Antonio handed out some bananas ostensibly as a snack. (This is where I know my Mum is going to finally be pleased that I don't like bananas and had turned mine down!) Suddenly there was a real commotion in the trees and a couple of spider monkeys appeared from nowhere, climbed on to the boat and started pinching them out of people's hands. We didn't know whether to laugh or scream so it ended up being a rather hilarious combination of the two! When one was standing on my lap, I finally felt that the £175 I'd paid for my rabies jabs was money well spen! So, so funny!

Lastly, I'm no twitcher but watching a blue heron take flight over the water or an osprey circling overhead is a privilege and very, very special way to end a day.

Talking about flying, today we're taking a sea plane out of here. I don't think I've ever been on anything smaller than a 737 so am more than a little excited. Wonder if they'll let me drive...




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Orange Walk, Belize

No comments:

Post a Comment