Monday 27 February 2012

Is lava surfing an Olympic sport?

The things I do in order to fit into a bridesmaid's dress. Today in order to burn off those lattes, I climbed a volcano and then lava surfed back down again. It beat an hour or two at the gym, I can tell you!

I was so happy to get the call this morning that the sunset Pacaya trek was a goer. I know Avgi was doing her best to get here in time to make up numbers (!) but there will be other opportunities I hope...

I've never seen anything like it. After a beautiful hike uphill with stunning views of the surrounding volcanoes, we suddenly went over a ridge and emerged into a totally alien landscape.

It's what I imagine the surface of the moon looks like - black sand scattered with lumps and rocks of petrified lava. Stark and startling. With puffs of smoke billowing out of the crater.

Downhill looked like it was going to be tough going until I realised that you don't use my normal pigeon step approach... you run and slide, otherwise known as lava surfing. Pretty cool!

We then reached our dinner and sunset viewing spot where Fernando our guide somehow knocked up a meal in about ten minutes, including guacamole made from scratch. It was totally delicious, which is strange as it contained lots of ingredients I don't like and won't normally eat at home (Mum - sound familiar? I am my father's daughter after all!)

By the way, fell in love with Fernando (aged 24) from the first time he said Fee-lee-pa. My name sounds so much better pronounced by a Latino! And now that I know he can cook...

Having already bored you with my sunrise the other day, I won't go on about the sunset. It was beautiful and, if you're lucky (!), you'll get to see the photos.

And as an added bonus, on the drive home we saw Volcano Fuego spitting out red hot lava (Jon - wish you'd been here to see it too!)

So, today is our last in Guatemala. We catch the bus at 6.20am tomorrow to Honduras. What a way to say goodbye!

P.S. I hope Ian Bradley would be chuffed to hear that two young(ish in my case) women were discussing how cool he is half way up a volcano in Guatemala. One of the other trekkers, Jessica, lived with his son Andy at university - small world, eh!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Antigua, Guatemala

1 comment:

  1. Another way down the lava slopes would have been on a tray or a boogie board (if there had been one available) or perhaps that would have been a bit too bumpy - good fun though.

    ReplyDelete